Tuesday 31 December 2013

Plateau

Plateau is a local wine bar and restaurant in the heart of Brighton (situated here) that has fast become one of my favourite places to eat.




So when we were faced with the first evening of our Christmas holidays, my sister Sarah, her friend Jade and I didn't hesitate, and made a beeline for the French-themed haven. 


This is my lovely sister by the way!

And this is Jade. She's very nice, too.







We drank, we chatted, we were merry.

And then... the meat platter came. Being a vegetarian, Jade did not partake in this particular carnivorous extravaganza. I almost felt bad for ordering it. Almost. But Jade didn't go without, and ordered one of the delicious vege "bites" on the menu, along with the delicious truffle oil and pecorino cheese frites.

But back to the meat platter...


This bad boy boasts Morcilla and Toulouse sausage, grilled bavette steak, spiced quail, and the most mouth-watering slow roast pork belly, all nestled on beds of celeriac, lentils, cous cous, and salsa verde. It's made for two to share, and there is more than enough to satisfy two of the hungriest meat-eaters. Sarah and I plumped for some pecorino and truffle frites between us, too.






Look at that pork! It's been cooked to perfection any time I've ordered it. The meat falls apart with tenderness when you cut in to it, and the fat that encases it is out of this world! Crispy, full of flavour, and melts in the mouth. I have NEVER enjoyed eating fat before. This fat is just something else.



The service and atmosphere at Plateau means that this place really is an all-round pleaser. The staff are all very friendly, only ever seem more than happy to help, and the place has a lively, but chilled vibe to it. One thing that might not be ideal if you're looking to catch up with a long-lost friend is the fact that it is pretty noisy, and very dim-lit. Which made taking photos a little challenging, but I'll forgive them for their fairylights. 


I would recommend booking in advance if you're looking to dine in the evening - it's always crammed, and it's always easy to understand why.

I'm sorry to say that Sarah wasn't quite so bowled over by our meat platter (maybe we're not related, after all...) For all the veges (and my sister) out there though, Plateau also offers vegetarian and fish platters to share, which also look pretty amazing. Next time I will definitely be trying one of these. Unless I forget... and order the meat platter again...



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...