Monday 6 January 2014

Terre à Terre

The other week, my mum, sister and I headed to Terre à Terre to meet some of our friends for dinner. Terre à Terre is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurant in Brighton, situated on East Street, Brighton. It's been around since 1993, serves outstanding food, and it's safe to say that it changed the way I look at vegetarian food. I had only been once before, and enjoyed the sharing platter back then, so that I could sample a little bit of everything! This time, I went for one of their famous "Rostis"... but I'm getting ahead of myself. First up were the Deep Fried Fat Grana Padano Green Olives. These were stuffed with ricotta, garlic, chives, and lemon zest... mmm. It's amazing what you can do with an olive. I might try making these at home one time.



 The Rostis came next. I went for the "Rosti Revisited" (crispy fried potato, onion and garlic rosti, topped with sautéed buttered spinach, finished with cream, garlic, parsley and nutmeg, topped with a soft poached egg and melted cheese). Apparently this dish was called "Rosti Revisited" because it had once been taken off the menu... and then put back on due to popular demand! I can believe that. It was quite delicious. Again, I may try and recreate this at some point. I'm starting to dabble with cooking, having recently acquired some great new kitchen appliances, so expect some recipe posts soon...!




 Sarah went for the Rosti Raj, which was topped with griddled tandoori halloumi and aubergine pickle, fresh coconut, green chilli and curry leaf chutney, chilli slivers, dressed with tangy lime and Mumbaimix spice dust. Finished with a channa rasam and deep fried chick peas. I got a bit of food envy with this one...

Lucy looked pretty happy with her choice, too...








 Dessert was Sweet Sixes (better than 'Petits Fours')...







And then it was time to go. I like Terre à Terre. It has a friendly vibe, an extensive and very creative menu, and you really don't miss the meat! I guess that's the point. It's a little on the pricey side considering what most of the ingredients probably cost, but I guess that's the price you pay for something a bit different! I definitely want to work my way through more of the menu, anyhow, and would recommend this place for a nice meal out with the fam :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...