Wednesday 8 January 2014

Best(o) Pesto

Firstly, I apologise for the post title. 

Secondly... I'm starting to cook again! Ever since acquiring a new blender, I have discovered a new love of BLENDING things, and it has deviously tempted and coaxed me back into a world of fresh ingredients, exciting flavours, and, well, actual meals! I used to love cooking. My dad always let me and my sister help him in the kitchen from a young age, so we learnt way back when. I'm not sure what happened, really. Becoming a lazy student at uni, maybe, or having one microwave sized cooker to get by on when I was living in France. Three months after moving in with me a year ago, my housemate still hadn't seen me cook. She had thought I was exaggerating when I told her I didn't. One of the main reasons for this became the washing up - I hate it, and we don't have room for a dishwasher in our kitchen.

But this is a new year, and a new me. I'm getting over the washing up. Moving on. To bigger and better! Well, I say bigger and better... I want to start off small, and simple. So if you'd care to join me on my voyage of discovery, here's a lovely little recipe for some lip-smackingly good pesto! :o) 

It takes roughly 10 minutes to make, and to be fair... there is minimal washing up involved.



You will need:
30g fresh basil (roughly. If you want to chuck in some more, go for it. I wouldn't use any less, though)
100g chopped walnuts
50g parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic, or 2 heaped tsps of lightly roasted garlic
150ml extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste

Method:

1. Heat small frying pan over low heat. Cook the walnuts (cheaper than buying pine nuts and still taste great!) until golden, shaking occasionally. 

2. Put into food processor with all of the other ingredients, and blend, blend, blend! 



 3. Store in an air tight jar, cover with a little extra oil, and store in the fridge. This pesto will last for up to two weeks, but tastes best the next day.

Serve stirred into pasta and pancetta/ spread on bread and top with chicken and melted cheese/ just eat with a spoon!




No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like...